Sunday, December 03, 2006

CD Project Thing #14 - The Beach Boys

The Beach Boys - "Pet Sounds"

This is one of those albums where it's pretty hard to really see what all the fuss is about, because while it's good, it doesn't seem "Greatest album ever" good or whatever. That's probably just because it doesn't sound as unique anymore because everybody's copied it so much and some of the songs are so familiar, but it's still a pretty impressive album.

I have a reissuie version with good liner notes, and mono and stereo versions of every track, and I pretty much can't tell any difference at all. I guess that's why I'm not an audiophile, eh?

The Beach Boys - "The Greatest Hits - Volume 1"

When I was a kid, my mother tended to listen to the oldies station on the radio (and my dad would usually listen to classic rock). Therefore, while I was always out of the loop on current music (hell, there's still 80s stuff that Marisa can never believe that I haven't heard), I heard a lot from the 60s. I'm not sure I'd say that I'm a fan of the Beach Boys exactly, but I heard a lot of it and it's pretty decent. This cd is chronological and has good liner notes, both good things. It ranges from the very beginning of the band all the way through "Kokomo" (ugh) (with a large gap between "Good Vibrations" and "Kokomo", though). There are some parts that are just way too cheesy, and I don't need the few "Pet Sounds" songs on here, but there's enough to make it worth while to keep and listen to every once in a while.

The Beach Boys - "The Greatest Hits - Volume 2"

A second volume of Beach Boys greatest hits, it again is chronological and goes from the beginning until they left their original label in the 70s (I believe there's a third volume that covers more of the 70s stuff, but I'm pretty sure I can do without that). Most of these songs were not big hits (at least not as much on the first one), but I know a few of them from covers ("Little Honda") or quasi-covers ("Don't Worry Baby"). A few of these songs that weren't hits are better than the big songs on the first album, although most of the 70s stuff here is pretty embarrassing. Then again, it's my theory that almost all 70s stuff, especially early-to-mid 70s American stuff, is really horrible, so that's no huge shock.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home