Thursday, November 16, 2006

CD Project Thing #9 - Archers Of Loaf, pt. 2

Archers Of Loaf - "The Speed Of Cattle"

It's basically your pretty standard rarities comp - non-album singles, demos, radio sessions, unreleased tracks. It's also, perhaps surprisingly, probably my favorite Archers Of Loaf cd. I'm not sure if that's just because the longest (18 tracks!) or because I got it first, but I quite like it. I'd be hard-pressed to think of many cds that lead off with three tracks as good as "Wrong", "South Carolina" and "Web In Front". I mostly have a hard time telling the demo versions here from the original versions, but they're all good, and the majority of the cd is non-album stuff, so it all works out.

Archers Of Loaf - "All The Nation's Airports"

I'm running out of things to say about these Archers Of Loaf albums, I think. This one sounds a little less lo-fi and a little more produced, but it still sounds like an Archers Of Loaf album. It's not quite as good as their best ones, but I still enjoy it.

Archers Of Loaf - "Vitus Tinnitus"

This promo-only (I think) EP has 6 live tracks and then 2 remixes. It's one of those things that makes me wonder what the hell I was thinking - at some point, somehow, I got it into my head that I just HAD to own it, and I went crazy looking for it on eBay for months before I finally got one. And, why? There's nothing bad about it, exactly, but it's just amazingly inessential. I really don't need slightly different versions of songs I already own, especially when I might be able to make some money off this. Back to eBay it goes!

Archers Of Loaf - "White Trash Heroes"

The last Archers of Loaf album, and the worst one, I think. It's still not horrible, but they've dropped some of the more lo-fi and poppy elements for something a little darker and more dramatic. I quite like the title track, though, which is the last track on their last album. The singer would go on to form Crooked Teeth, who will appear (briefly) later in this blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home