Sunday, November 12, 2006

CD Project Thing #8 - Archers Of Loaf, pt. 1

Archers Of Loaf - "Icky Mettle"

The summer after Freshman year of college, I came back home and worked full time at the library where I'd worked in high school. At the end of the summer, a co-worker of mine gave me a mix tape called "Indie Rock!". It was an amazing mix tape (and I really ought to see if I can still find it), and it contained many songs and bands that are among my favorites, even 7 years later.

What does that have to do with album? There was definitely some Archers Of Loaf on it, and if I recall correctly I think it was "Web In Front" from this album. Beyond that, I'm not so sure what to say about them - they're sort of slackerish lo-fi indie rock in the Pavement mold, except not as popular. There are some missteps here, but the amazing songs totally make up for it. If I danced around the room myself when nobody was around, which I so totally don't, songs like "Web In Front" and "Wrong" would be right up there on the list of songs that make me dance (which I don't!).

Archers Of Loaf - "Archers Of Loaf Vs. The Greatest Of All Time"

5-track EP of new songs. A few of them are really great, but I really don't have much to say about them. They sound a lot the first two Archers Of Loaf albums, which is a good thing. The band later released a comp cd, but none of these songs (at least not in these versions) made it, so it's still an essential EP.

Archers Of Loaf - "Vee Vee"

The second album, still sounding a lot like the first. I don't know that I like this quite as much as the first, but it does have "Harnassed In Slums", and it's hard to go wrong with that. This is also, as far as I'm aware, the first cd in my collection to have a hidden track, a few seconds of pointless guitar. Yay fast forward button!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home