Friday, December 01, 2006

CD Project Thing #13 -Bananarama, Barcelona

Bananarama - "Greatest Hits Collection"

I bought this CD because Marisa wanted it, and I've got to say I'm not super familiar with it or the band. I know a bunch of the songs ("Venus", "Help!", "Cruel Summer", "Na Na Hey Hey (Kiss Him Goodbye)"), but mostly from commercials or versions by others. It's decent enough for an early 80s girl group, I guess, but it's no Go-Gos or Bangles.

Barcelona - "Simon Basic"

I first saw Barcelona opening for Wolfie at the High Dive in Champaign around 1999, the time of the release of their debut album. Especially on this album, they sounded a LOT like Wolfie, except with lyrics that made a lot more sense (and more often than not were about computers, being a geek, or childhood, or some combination of the three). Obviously, I fell in love. Who wouldn't?

Barcelona - "Robot Trouble"

The first of two singles Barcelona released as a preview of their second album (and the only two singles they ever did, actually). There's the single, two remixes, and two b-sides (one being a cover of "Pop Goes The World" by Men Without Hats that's one of my favorite Barcelona songs ever). That's just about all I have to say about that.

Barcelona - "Studio Hair Gel"

The second single, following basically the same format as the first (except without a cover song).

Barcelona's (excellent) second album "Zero-One-Infinity" should be next, but I don't currently own a copy. It's out of print, but scheduled to be reissued with bonus tracks (some of these b-sides, I'd assume, which might make it possible to sell the singles). It must be pretty rare, because used copies go for quite a bit, and I couldn't pass that up, especially knowing I could replace it soon. I wouldn't have had much to say about it anyway - it moved a little away from indie pop towards more electronic and new wave, but it's still quite good. Hopefully I'll be able to add a supplemental entry on it soon.

Barcelona - "Transhuman Revolution"

Third (and sadly, last) album from Barcelona. It's basically a New Wave album with some electronica, if an album from 2001 can possibly be considered New Wave. It's probably most notable for having been sequenced by Cameron Crowe (who gave them a mention in "Vanilla Sky").

I really don't know why they broke up after this album, but I have a hunch that there was some issue with the female member, because the lead singer went on to form the equally excellent Sprites, and he's worked with the other two members but not her. Also, their debut album has a song called "Do It Yourself" that seems to be a long list of complains about an unnamed band member. You'll here more about them when we get to S in, oh, a few years or so...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home