Monday, October 30, 2006

CD Project Thing #3 - Ryan Adams pt. 2, Air

Ryan Adams and the Cardinals - "Cold Roses" (2 discs)

Ryan Adams released 3 albums in 2005, the first two under the name "Ryan Adams and the Cardinals". The first was "Cold Roses", a double cd (although I think it could have all fit on one). This is good, solid (albiet unspectacular) alt-country. I do like it, although I'm finding I don't really have a damn thing to say about it.

Ryan Adams and the Cardinals - "Jacksonville City Nights"

Next up was "Jacksonville City Nights", again with the Cardinals. While the previous one could be called alt-country, I would be hard pressed to call this anything but hardcore old-time country. It's probably more country-sounding than any other cd I own, and that includes cds by Loretta Lynn and Patsy Cline. That doesn't mean I don't like it, though - it's actually pretty decent, although I don't think I like it quite as much as "Cold Roses". It'll be interesting to see if he puts out more with the Cardinals in the future.

Ryan Adams - "29"

Ryan's last album of 2005 (and his last album to this point) is this solo album consisting of 9 songs, mostly long slow rock (with a little country thrown in) Dylan-esque story songs. Not sure I have much to say about it. Not great, but good enough to keep. And I'm sure everybody's as happy as I am that we're through Ryan Adams. Moving on...

Air - "Moon Safari"

Air are a two-person French band (it says it right on the cd cover - "French Band") who do really great poppy electronic music. This cd is a mixed bag of stuff - a few instrumentals, a few songs with (usually strange) vocals by one of the members (best example is their biggest hit, "Sexy Boy", which is sung by a guy although you probably wouldn't know it), and a few songs sung by a guest female vocalist ("All I Need" and "You Make It Easy" were both prime contenders for places in our wedding, although in the end neither made it). It seems strange, but it all works in the end.

Air - "Talkie Walkie" (with bonus DVD)

Before and after "Moon Safari", Air had a few albums and EPs (the best title was for a remix ep from the "10000 Hrz Legend" album - "Everybody Hrz"), and I owned them all at one time, but none of them came close to "Moon Safari". They were all were too electronic or too instrumentaly or whatever. Air must have realized this, because their latest album, "Talkie Walkie" went back to the exact same formula as "Moon Safari", and at least in this case going back and copying an album was a very good thing. It didn't have any big hits, but there's probably a pretty good chance you've heard some of it in a commericial or as background music. I have a import version with a 30 minute live DVD, and, well, can you imagine how boring it is watching a 2 member French electronic band play songs mostly from their bad albums? I don't have to imagine, I own it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home