Tuesday, October 24, 2006

CD Project Thing #1 - ABBA, Absinthe Blind

ABBA - "Gold"

Man, right off the bat I'm probably losing all my credibility with most of you. And it's true, ABBA does have some really cheesy bits, but then also have some really great pop (in the good sense of the word) singles, and luckily they all seem to be on this disc(I briefly owned "More ABBA Gold" and it didn't do anything for me at all). Say what you will, but it's hard for me to believe there's anybody out there jaded enough not to get some enjoyment out of songs like"Waterloo", "Take A Chance On Me" and "Does Your Mother Know?"

Absinthe Blind - "The Everyday Separation"

Absinthe Blind were the current hot new thing on theChampaign rock scene near the end of my college days. This was their fourth album, which was current at the time. I believe this was their first with co-ed vocals, which tell me that I wouldn't much like the first two, since the co-ed vocals were my favorite part of the band and I don't really think they used them enough. I'm not sure I ever specifically set out to see them, but I did end up seeing them a few times opening for or following bands I did want to see, and I remember them putting on a good live show (they must have, for me to buy the cd). I wouldn't call it a great album, but it does have a few great songs. The band broke up after their fifth album and I think the members are in a few other bands now, including Headlights (who I've never heard, but I gather are getting somewhat popular).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home