Sunday, January 07, 2007

CD Project Thing #19 - Better Than Ezra, Big Head Todd And The Monsters, Big Star, Billy Mahonie

Better Than Ezra - "Deluxe"
Better Than Ezra - "Friction, Baby"

Two good alt-rock albums. You might just know the couple of hits off each one, but they're actually pretty solid, I like them quite a bit.

Better Than Ezra - "How Does Your Garden Grow"

By far my favorite BTE album, but also by far their worst selling (it sold so badly, it got them dropped from their label). I wish I could say that was a coincidence, but I'm pretty sure it's not. The main difference here is they went a little more experimental, adding some electronic stuff to their sound, and it works quite well. Too bad nobody else thought so.

Better Than Ezra - "Closer"

How did BTE follow-up their great, but horribly selling, album? They release this album, so mainstream that MY SISTER likes it. I've already sold it. Good riddance!

Big Head Todd And The Monsters - "Live Monsters"

I bought this for Marisa because she liked a few songs by them and wanted it, and I don't think I ever listened to it before now. Wow, it's really, really, really bad. So bad that I've completely blocked it out of my memory and can't remember it at all. That's probably a good thing.

Big Star - "#1 Record/Radio City"
Big Star - "Third/Sister Lovers"

Three albums on two discs ("#1 Record" and "Radio City" are two discs, "Third/Sister Lovers" is the third) of pretty good, should-have-been-more-popular. You know "Thirteen", who everybody ever has covered, and "In The Street", the theme to "That 70s Show", and there are a few other good ones, too.

Billy Mahonie - "1000 Years Of Billy Mahonie" Single (UK Import)

Of all the bands on the list, the one I probably know least about is Billy Mahonie. All I own is this CD Single, and I'm not even sure if they have a singer. I wasn't even sure if "Billy Mahonie" was a singer name or band name until I did a little research. Why, then, would I possibly own it? Well, it was the 100th release on the Too Pure label, so the band had a few of their label mates work on this single. The third song on it is "Manywhere (Hefner remix)", and since Hefner are the most amazing band ever (you'll read about that later), I had to have it. And, really, it's less like a "Hefner remix" and more like a whole (and pretty decent) Hefner song, since Darren Hayman from Hefner does vocals on it. So, thank you Billy Mahonie, whoever you are!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home